Monday, August 16, 2004

Mission Accomplished

Today I've been in recovery from an incredible weekend at Yosemite. Saturday morning, our group of eight motivated individuals set foot for what was for most of us the longest, most arduous hike of our lives. 8+ miles and 4800 feet in elevation later, we reached the top of Half Dome, one of the highest points in Yosemite at nearly 10,000 feet. At the top, there were a few energetic persons taking pictures and hiking around (it's actually quite a large area up there), but others of us pretty much collapsed and rested. Personally, I tried to cram down a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a Power Bar, but the fact that we were all out of water rather hampered my efforts. After an hour or so of rest, we turned around and headed back to camp. Happily, hiking back was definitely easier than hiking up, though the descent on the cable section was pretty scary at points.


All eight of us made it to the top (and back to the valley) without injury, which in my estimation was quite amazing considering our overall fitness levels. Praise the Lord!

At this point I'd say I'm aching to go back, but maybe I'm just aching. Actually, I am looking forward to the next trip up. Cut that; I'm looking forward to the next journey up. It's beautiful up there . . . If you're interested in seeing more pics, just e-mail me at jonathanhuber@att.net and I'll send you some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home